How do I know if I can claim compensation?

If you have suffered a personal injury or any kind of financial loss, due to another party’s negligence then you are permitted to make a claim. In order to be able to claim compensation, the accident at hand must have been at the fault of someone else. You must be able to prove that your opponent was negligent and fully responsible.


When making a claim, you must also be able to confirm you have suffered some sort of damage due to the oversight of the opposing party. This can be verified by seeing a doctor and having a written report of the injuries you have sustained due to the disregard of the person at fault.

How long will it take to settle a claim?

It all depends on factors outside of any one person's control, but the solicitors who will be acting on your behalf will be better placed to advice you as to the possible duration of your case.

How much will I get for a personal injury claim?

It depends on what type of injuries you have sustained, how long it has taken to recover from them and what other losses you have incurred as a result. Compensation amounts vary for different injuries and the areas of the body affected. Please speak to the solicitor with whom you instruct and they will be able to advise you accordingly.

Is there a time limit to make a claim?

There is a statutory limit of 3 years from the date of the accident, and a claim can be submitted at any stage during this period. In cases involving children, they have 3 years from the date of their 18th birthday - if they have not already had a claim pursued on their behalf by a parent or guardian.

Will I have to go to court?

You will only have to attend court if you are asked by the Judge or if you receive a Court Order.

Do I have to pay for medical expenses?

You do not have to pay a medical expert to assess your injuries. However, if you pay for prescriptions or specialist medical attention, we will recover this money within your compensation claim.

What type of injuries can claim?

You do not have to sustain a serious injury to be entitled to make a compensation claim for a non-fault accident. Injuries can include cuts, bruises, whiplash, broken bones, dizziness and headaches.

Should I have reported my injuries to a GP or hospital?

It is very important to have a written record of your injuries, by either your GP or a hospital, and if you are asked to have an X-ray or visit a specialist you must attend. However it is not essential for you to have sought medical assistance immediately.